It’s that time of year again…the days are longer, warmer, and you’re probably noticing that the house is getting pretty warm as the day goes on. Blasting the AC will keep you cool, but you certainly won’t keep a cool head when you see that utility bill.
Supreme Service Today put together a list of our favorite cheap, efficient ways to keep cool, literally and figuratively, this summer.
Supreme Tips to Keep Cool This Summer
- Run a ceiling fan to offset AC use. Whenever you turn on a ceiling fan, you can raise the thermostat a few degrees, because the fan will provide those few degrees of cooling comfort without the exorbitant AC cost.
- Use a programmable thermostat. Set it around 78 degrees and leave it there, and you won’t waste any energy cooling the house multiple times throughout the day. You can also raise the temperature several degrees if you plan on leaving the house for a few days – who needs a cool house if no one is there?
- Replace and clean your AC air filters regularly. A dirty and clogged air filter forces the AC unit to work harder to pull air through, which uses more energy. Need more reasons to take charge and change out that old filter? See 3 Reasons You Need to Know How to Change Your Air Filter
- Close the blinds in the sunniest rooms. Sunlight can bake a room for hours throughout the day, causing a noticeable heat in some rooms. Instead of blasting the AC to make up for this warmth, just close the blinds to minimize the sunlight making its way into your house.
- Seal up cracks. Whether it is a crack on the edge of an old window, or an incomplete seal on the bottom of your door frame, you’ll use far more energy cooling your house if there are many leaks. Keep the cold air in and the hot air out by making sure your house is properly insulated.